Tuesday, October 11, 2011

College Football Scandals

English- Writing as Argument- is one of the most difficult classes I have taken. The first essay we wrote was a Narrative Argument Argumentative essay; I stayed up all night trying to re-write and edit that paper. I ended up receiving a "C". The assignment we are working on now is a Rhetorical Argument Essay. We pick and controversial event to write about and then analyze an "opinion article" written about the subject.

The subject I chose to write about is the controversy regarding college football scandals. Although this has been a recurring issue for years, it has become increasingly worse in the past few years. Upon doing research I learned about the most recent scandal involving the University of Miami and big-time Ponzi schemer, Nevin Shapiro.

Shapiro was involved in the real estate industry during the housing market "boom" as well as a co-owner of a sports agency. He was making millions and was therefore, able to give millions, as a booster, to the University of Miami. His "generosity" to the players cost around $930 million (2002) in cash, gifts and parties at his mansion.

Although this occurred many years ago, it is just now being revealed to the public. University of Miami quarterback, Jacory Harris recently admitted to the public that he had accepted extra benefits his freshman year. He formally apologized to the University president, Donna Shalala and his fans. Because of the illegal payment and recruitment of players, the University of Miami was close to receiving the "death penalty" like SMU.

The current debate is whether or not players should be paid. Some argue that giving them a paycheck is fair and it may be the solution to eliminating corruption. Others argue that amateurism should be maintained because no matter what the corruption will proceed.

Not only has the reasearch and writing process helped me in my english skills and writing ability, but I am even more excited to jump into my major- Sports Broadcasting. I now feel more confident in my knowledge regarding sports and feel that I have something to contribute to a sports centered conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment